Monday, August 16, 2010

Roots: Stage Three


Roots 3
60" x 40"
300lb watercolour paper

It has been awhile. Placing appropriate pieces of tissue paper usually takes the most time. Things were getting tense. The inevitable question arose: How many more hours must I devote to this? with its requisite response: As many as it takes! Oh the agony of not knowing…. I must have control! There was a time when I would truly lose it. Control was big in my life. Relax. Enjoy the ride. This is fun and easy! And so it is. Once I began to breathe again I spent some time just meditating this piece. There are so many considerations. Where do I wish the eye to rest? How do I subdue some areas while enhancing others? I have several sheets of a single colour in various values, that is, light and dark. I also have several different shades of green with variations within by adding sprinkles of yellow or blue or red to the base. Making sure the tissue paper is well wrinkled before applying the colour washes ensures wonderful patterning. This time I required a certain colour in a certain value. It took three attempts to produce the sheet I needed. I now have extras for other projects. I make life more difficult for myself by not using scissors to shape the pieces but I prefer the softness of the torn edge. If I wish a hard edge I fold the paper on itself. This is fun. Taking artistic liberties I decided a few hints of red would focus and direct the eye. All was well until I noticed the bottom was disappearing. The carefully crafted watercolour grasses could not compete with the vibrant colour of the leaves. Oops. Now what? I looked at the piles of tissue paper scattered about the work surface and I saw scraps. Lovely. Perfect pieces for empowering grass blades. A little gel and a bit of patience later things were looking much better. Still… Something was missing. I opened my container of gold refuse, the leftovers from the leaves and other paintings. Ahh…. much better. I love the cheeriness of this piece. This stage is done. The only major question left to answer is: How do I bring it together? Yes, well…. that is for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment