Monday, November 1, 2010

Downstream

Downstream
60" x 30"
Mixed media
Canvas



I walked away dissatisfied with the last coat I put on. Grumbling to myself I went home to renovations. Perhaps renovations has a lot to do with the way I see things right now. It is all a matter of attitude. We have lived in this house for sixteen years. It (not us!) has accumulated dust, clutter and battle scars, an understandable eventuality after four children and two cats. That day, as I stepped through the door, I caught my breath. The sub-floor was showing, the bare bones exposed. I decided to work in the garage that afternoon. Again, as I opened the door later that same day, my breath escaped my lips, oooh, lovely! There is hope. Yes, we will have a brand new home soon. There is another advantage: we have an extraordinary opportunity to declutter. I love orderly, clean, open spaces. That is why I love being in my studio. Oh there are canvases all over and projects in every corner but everything is in order and there is room to move. A good thing. Four foot by six foot canvases need a lot of room…. Upon returning to my studio the next day I glanced at what I had done. The dark cloud I had left with the previous day had obviously interfered with my vision. I like that. So grabbing my pens, metallic for the psalm and felt for the poem, I put the finishing touches on Downstream, the second in the series “Rocks and Rivers”. The first one sold almost before I had it hung up at the show last weekend. Mmmm. I am satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment