Monday, December 27, 2010

Getting Empty

Change. Everything changes. Perhaps that is why so many of us go to such lengths to keep things “just as they always were”. I went into my studio and began to put large canvases back into their original plastic bags. I packed a few more boxes and did my last creative thing in this space: I set up some charts for the Guild to which I belong. It will not take long to empty the shelves, drawers and horizontal expanses. The delay is at the other end where we have “a lot of work to do”. In the meantime I can do some mourning. “Inspirations” has been a wonderful place in which to paint and share. I so enjoyed the freedom of the openness, the possibility of keeping things organized, the quiet corners in which to read, write and create in other ways. I loved the light. Even without the windows there was light. I loved the pegboard which made it easy to hang pictures in progress, paintings for sale, ideas in incubation. Now it is getting empty, no longer mine, less and less intimate. Time to move on. What has the change brought? Many gifts. I have often thought how much more convenient it would be to have all my stuff in one location. True the office is still in the house but everything else will be in the garage. I will no longer buy two of one item. I have a lifetime supply of full spectrum bulbs. Rent will be a thing of the past, the space will be mine for as long as I want it. It will be cozy, everything within easy reach. My students will enjoy sharing the area and seeing first hand my latest endeavours. We will inspire one another. So “Inspirations” will continue, inspired and inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment