Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Convergence

There is something to be said for ten foot ceilings. Twenty feet might not be too much. We recently unveiled a mural sixteen feet high…. Sigh. Another item on my wish list for my new studio. Since the current mural is nine feet high there had to be a solution; there is always a solution. Eight feet is all there is. I had chosen not to work on the floor so I strung a couple of tables together with a plywood panel I used for my 60” x 40” watercolour sheets. The bottom of the mural lined up with the top. Flipping up the end of the main section onto the table I used paper clips to hold the pieces together as I continued the development of the drawing. Certain things had to line up. When it comes to man made objects, yes, I use a ruler. My freehand straight lines are beautifully irregular and not really conducive to imaging the rigid structures of buildings and maypoles. Again, I moved the group one square to the left knowing there would be room to extend the maypole into the top panel. There remained a rather large space for what I had filled with one book and a pot of pencils. It called for something different. I decided to add a small library with titles from local authors. Yes. Much better. And that gives me another idea… extracts and poetry. Mmmm. Glinting water and shiny grass blades. Oooooh. Giving me shivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment