Monday, May 9, 2011

Gridding the Mural

Over the years I have tried all kinds of different methods for transferring the image onto mural panels. Often I have used a projector. In this case I really did not wish to destroy my drawing (it is frame worthy) in order to fit it into the clamps in the projector so I opted for an age old method of transfer: gridding. Usually when I grid something I use a fairly large dimension for the breakup, a simple centre repeated twice so the image is broken into eight segments each horizontally and vertically. This time I used a smaller square because of the amount of detail in the image. I suspected I would get a far more accurate drawing. It takes a while to grid a nine by thirteen foot sheet in five inch squares. I decided to run a line of squares across the top to find out if my ratio was correct. It ended up one more square than the original. One more square and an inch and a half. I ran the square down the height and found I had about an inch left over. Mmmm. I could use some extra room at both ends. Moving the images slightly one way on another would give me the wiggle room I needed for accurate proportions and a less cramped result. It is amazing what an inch can do. Three hours later I decided to give my back a rest. Bookwork anyone? 

No comments:

Post a Comment