Monday, May 30, 2011

Within the Lines



As a child I would spend hours colouring. Having finished the placement of the images on the grid I revisited that long ago, warm, safe haven as I applied each base colour, staying within the lines. Base colour. Yes. I began with the trees. Not all of them. The ones separating each section were to be a specific colour. Applying phthalo green to the spruce trees I made a mental note once again about priorities. Eventually I overcame the desire to remain perfectly within the lines. It is amazing how my childhood still rules my present unless I make a conscious choice to change. Brushstrokes are of the utmost importance. It is really the brushstroke which creates the illusion of spruce against poplar. Brushstrokes add variety and interest to an otherwise bland surface. I did not want too much busyness in an already busy panel. I covered the green with ultramarine blue. Lovely turquoise. The other trees would be a little more distinct if I began with gold…. The other bank across the river would not be so dark. I put the green away and brought out the gold. A different brushstroke for each area. One for the distant hills, one for the aspen and poplar, one for the grass. There is a lot of gold on this mural. The blue went directly over the distant hills and into the grass. Green graced the poplars. The verdict is still out as to whether I will add blue to make turquoise trees… With burnt sienna I continued forming value studies of the images before me. Burnt sienna smothered in ultramarine blue makes black. Not a dead black but rather a lively one. Although the photo references were largely black and white my intention is to create full colour. Such power. This is a heady experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment