Monday, August 22, 2011

Halfway


Following one more critical assessment it is time to separate the sheets that I have painted and remove the first panel so the last one may be set in place and the drawing completed. Having had the experience of ripping pieces by accident in previous undertakings I move more cautiously carefully easing the edges apart. The acrylic paint makes a good glue. I had used a little sticky putty to hold the pieces together. Some of these had received a coat of paint too. Eventually I laid the first panel on the table and went about removing the residue before rolling it up. Stored until the installation day. It takes considerable patience to move and realign the drawing on each panel. I added more clips just to be sure my new arrangement would not move. As I attempted to install the last panel I saw that the grid did not allow for enough overlap, the eight inches are about right to accommodate the irregular edge once it has been cut. I took the panel down and laid it on the table with the intention of redrawing the grid. Once on the table I noticed that I had been lining the other panel up against the wrong marks. I had to laugh. Back up the ladder and the job was done. I stepped back to admire my work. Then it occurred to me. Another occasion for laughter. I had been so proud of my overlap solution. I had even thought of a way to avoid the underlay straight edge which will inevitably show up once the pieces are glued to the wall of the building. There was only one thing I had forgotten….there are horizontal cuts as well. There is no overlap on those…. I am sure there is a solution… there always is.

No comments:

Post a Comment