Monday, August 27, 2012

First Impressions


Cortez Island was a new venue for me. I love the ocean and on any given day the west coast islands are truly breathtaking. I looked forward to smelling the salty air once more and just gazing out upon the ever changing water hues as the light shifted during the day. Hollyhock is a special place. It has a harmonious peace about it. There is a communion of souls here, a quiet understanding to which even the trees and the wildlife are privy. I was not expecting the heat wave. Usually the ocean keeps things cool. Not here. There were thirty-one other artists seeking the necessary shade in which to carry out their craft. Shade not only provided some shelter from the burning sun but made it possible to see the pigments more clearly as we applied them to canvas. Oh, that was another thing. I choose to paint watercolours on location. They are portable, convenient, easy to clean up and do not cause problems in airports. I could see that I would eventually decide to move into acrylics for this workshop. Another challenge. Staying in my comfort zone does not appeal to me at the best of times anyway. In the meantime, being stubborn, I created my first painting in watercolours. Since we were to be pushing towards abstract I was less careful than usual. A view of the beach, full of colour and contrast. Fun if nothing else.

No comments:

Post a Comment