Monday, September 3, 2012

First Attempts


Wandering through my favorite store I spotted something I might need when I went on the acrylic workshop the following month. I made a note to buy it when the best sale of the year was on. Sale or no sale my bank account diminishes drastically when I make my purchases for the year. This item was a wet palette so the acrylic paint would not dry out as quickly. In the hot Cortez sun and dry wind it turned out to be the most useful tool I brought. Not knowing how to use it at first I put it away on the first day in my back pack. The lid is air tight, not water tight. Unfortunately I had paid little attention to the book I had sitting on the seat until the next morning when I spent some time separating pages with paper towel. Sigh. In any case what you see before you are the results of my first efforts at painting en plein air with acrylics. I can certainly understand the attraction to this type of paint. They dry almost as quickly as watercolours and they have far more capacity for changing unwanted passages of colour or drawing. They are a little more difficult to clean up and that is why I buy inexpensive brushes for acrylic painting. It was a delight to experiment and discover. There is no end to the possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment