Monday, October 29, 2012

Yukon

So how was I supposed to know? I thought north meant cool, even cold. I had never been north of the arctic circle and I had no idea what to bring to wear. I checked the weather averages, 15-16 degrees Celsius for the high. Well, that is cool. So I packed my summer wardrobe and a few extras for more layers if I needed them. Well, I never wore the layers, it was glorious. So much for preconceived ideas. The weather man marveled at the records hit each day, 22, 23 and 19. September in Whitehorse is breathtaking too. The colours are spectacular, the water in the Yukon river is actually turquoise. It looks drinkable! One of the fabulous forays into the surrounding area included Miles Canyon. We strolled, sketched and compared notes. As usual I picked something with sharp contrasts and negative space, so predictable. Pencil does not quite capture the colours though and ink would have done more justice to the deep shadows. Still, all in all, it is somewhere I would like to visit again. Perhaps we will drive next time…. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment