Monday, July 15, 2013

Artwalk



St. Albert holds an artwalk every first Thursday of the month April through September and the local businesses host different artists as their feature for the month. The Bookstore has actually created a small gallery at the back of the store in which artwork is presented all year long. As well artists can be seen painting in the street for the evening, sometimes in the rain. I have not often participated and I decided I would hit the streets on the 4th of July. It was an exceptionally lovely evening and I enjoyed selecting the scene I would paint and drawing the complicated perspective involved in all street scenes. Another artist accompanied me at the same location so I chose to include her in the image. As the evening wore on the clouds began to build and in the end we lost the lovely light we had had at the beginning. Of course I forgot to take a photo when the sun was out so my references did not have the drama I usually like in my paintings. I did not complete the piece on location as a lot of the time I was talking to passersby so I took it into my studio and finished it there. I decided to leave the poster-like look instead of trying to remember the shadowing and the sunlit contrasts. It will be part of the Bookstore exhibition on August 1st, the next Artwalk opening night. Looking forward to seeing lots of people out for the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment