Monday, March 10, 2014

Tin Foil




Quite often I use metallic colours, pens and actual metal in my images. Iridescence plays a big part in making the surfaces glow. It helps with the illusion of light. When it comes to filling in negative space or the occasional circle I use gold (real gold!), metallic foil or tin foil. How I happened on tin foil was serendipitous. Among the many preliminary layers on any canvas there lies gold or silver mixed with iridescence. I find silver works very well with the red/green complimentary combination. It is also brilliant with the phthaloblue/burnt orange duo. As I began to develop the painting at hand I heard the request for metal negative spaces…. Silver is so fugitive. It tarnishes. I have lots in my cupboard to prove it… I considered gold. Unfortunately there was no foundation in gold. None. It would look totally out of place. I considered metallic foil. It also is somewhat fugitive in that it does not retain its appearance in the long term. What was I to do? I cannot remember what I was cooking that night. What I do remember is whatever it was required tin foil. Yes! That is it! Tin foil is not as easily bent and torn as tissue paper. In fact it is quite uncooperative. Lately I have discovered the most efficient way to cut out the little pieces is to use tracing paper to trace the spaces then repress it over the foil to leave a cutting line. I have designated a set of scissors for the job. Actually it tears well along the straight indents. It is work intensive and in the end I have exactly what I want. So good! Life is so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment