Monday, September 1, 2014

Creating an Eye



I had forgotten about using the preliminary sketches for “Proceed” as instruction tools. Above you see the results of combining the two photos. Light is always tricky unless the two references are in the same light, which they were not. Finding the balance between the composition, in this case the figure should be lighter than the surroundings, and the point where the object looks like it fits into the scene, is a challenge. Sometimes it requires input from fresh eyes. Getting together with other artists who are willing to critique work honestly and generously is invaluable. We meet approximately once per month although I am not sure that will be possible this month. One of us is into harvesting, the other teaching, yet another travelling and I am moving. The storm is brewing. This week is moving week. It has been a long time in the making and my studio/gallery is finally complete. There are still a lot of finishing touches to be done yet it is time to relocate from my present rented space. Renovating and relocating are both nerve stressors. Combine them and there is a need to create an eye in the storm. My usual eye is immersion into paint. I will do some of that today. As the window closes on the opportunity I will move into inner stillness through prayer. Hug a tree and move forward. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment