Monday, July 26, 2010

Roots: more beginnings


Roots
40" x 60"
300lb watercolour paper
mixed media

Stage two has arrived! There is always a hesitation and a quandary about the exact point at which a different media is introduced. I knew the transfer of an image of my grandmother holding one of my cousins would be part of the painting. Another piece of knowledge was bugging me. Once acrylic gel has been introduced to the surface of the paper it seals it and further adjustments are no longer possible with watercolour. The transfer also had to be done early enough for the drawing to have the necessary presence. Later. I will think about it later. Look at those leaves! Some of them must be gold. Out came the gold leaf and following some very anxious moments I admired the beautiful results. Fun. Transfer coming up! Oooh. I like that too. Now for the second washes of watercolour. Purple blue tree trunks here we come! Next: a few tissue paper leaves. I wonder what effect they will have on their surroundings. I don’t know. Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment