Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Treasures

Treasures
5" x 7"
watercolour/ink
140lb watercolour paper



Jet lag. That is my excuse. So I woke up at 4am this morning and remembered my blog. Knowing that sleep was no longer possible I rose to the occasion. Yesterday I did manage to take pictures of the paintings I had done this last week. The only one I actually painted en plein air is this one. It rained most of the time but not this day. This day was perfect. The morning began with sunshine and laughter as good friends shared food for body and soul. It was about noon when breakfast moved into kayaking. I had never kayaked before. I had done some rowing so I was aware of the theory involved. Dropping my camera and my portable studio behind my seat I paddled out behind the leaders. I got wet. The sun shone, a light breeze  brushed through the splendid colours embracing the lake edge and over the water, pushing me around. The panorama was breath taking. New Hampshire in September. I had parked my paddle, allowing the will of the wisp to take me. Everything moved. I prefer quiet corners. We explored many quiet corners behind islands and in reedy lagoons. My first attempt at anchoring my kayak occurred in a reedy patch. Later I discovered my draft was not always small enough to clear the rocks and mud banks. It has to do with body weight and breakfast… or many breakfasts. We skirted the shore, my camera and I often pulling up the rear. Finally turning a point we found ourselves out of the wind, the five kayaks snuggled together as we savoured our experience and friendship. The entrance to the mouth of the creek was tricky, very shallow and crisscrossed with rocks and gravel banks. Where there is a will there is a way. I knew this is what I had been looking for. I parked my kayak on a rock, got out my paints and set to work. Carefully I placed my two little jam jars of water in the bilge, propping them up with my rain gear, selected some brushes and set to work. Eventually I noticed the abundance of flowing water around me. I laughed, rinsed my brush and finished the painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment