Monday, February 7, 2011

In Progress

Splash


Splash Detail
This has been a very successful day. I stepped into my studio and tuned the radio to my favorite station. As I listened to the strains of violin and piano I removed my newly steeped tissue paper from its plastic mold. Lovely patterns danced before my eyes as I contemplated each piece. Which would adorn the awaiting canvas? I turned and caught sight of the freshly drawn triplet, purple lines against a gold and violet background. Yes. I am making progress. I really like the shapes moving in and out of the texture across the surface. Shapes. The simpler and bigger the better. Shapes, not details, create the foundation for all that matters in a painting: value (dark and light), colour, movement. Where is the light going to be brightest? How will it be balanced? How big, how small? Yes, I like this threesome. I turn my attention to the project at hand and begin ripping odd shapes from the tissue paper pieces. Shapes of sunlight across drooping evergreen branches. The shapes must be irregular. No two things in life are the same. Even identical twins are different in some aspects. Irregularity, that is what appears natural. Straight and geometric shapes are rare in the wild. In my attempts to emulate nature I tend to repeat the same form over and over again in monotonous and boring regularity. As I tear the bits I change direction and still I end up with very similar bumps standing at attention, all in a row. I sigh and remove one or two. I will use the remains later to fill holes or enhance the randomness. Time for tea and a change of pace. I love random creativity. Where did I put that purple watercolour pencil?

No comments:

Post a Comment