Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Dragon

Did someone mention a dragon? I have come a long way. At one time I was suspicious of anyone who liked dragons. I suspected my son of demonic possession and refused to paint his walls black. Thankfully he has grown up into a nice young man who is still passionate about dragons. The dragon world is unlike any other. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to see the process another artist took in order to create his masterpieces. It sounded reasonable to me so, as I was waiting at a local coffee shop, I began doodling shapes on the page, manipulating the possibilities and finally came up with a handsome head. Yes, this one had personality. I brought the sketch home, added a body and presented the preliminaries to my client. There were quite a few adjustments to be made. My dragon looked more like a dinosaur, an unlikely candidate for flying…. So off came the pounds…I wish I could do that so easily! I flipped him to show off his wings and again showed the sketch to my client. Getting closer. A few more adjustments and I transferred the sketch to mylar. Mylar is a very accommodating format. Plastic paper. It has a good tooth and can easily be manipulated and adjusted with a kneaded eraser. Such fun. As is usual with most artwork the drawing took on a life of its own. The wings were suddenly transparent and the castle walls moved into a shape that allowed two knights to defend the fortress. The stonework kept me entertained for hours. Lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment