Monday, August 15, 2011

Slippage



This would not happen using four by eight foot sheets of plywood. I still prefer the fabric. The mural I am working on presently is too large for my support structure so I am doing it in sections. This takes a little planning. I have four of the five panels hanging at the moment. I have finished the gridding and established the center of the piece. I completed the logos and drew the separations from the center to the corners on the left side of the mural. I so did not accurately calculate the time it would take to draw. I had not considered the precision required to copy logos, establish correct proportions and perspective on buildings and the chain link fence. Oh yes, there is only so much leeway that one can get away with on these items. And I forgot about the lettering on the signs posted on the fence….. Sigh. I tried to get away with more than I could on the chain links. In the end dissatisfaction drove me to do better and I now have something with which I am pleased. Integrity is time consuming too. The moment had arrived: I was to cut the adjoining edges. I had decided to do an experiment. The sheets of fabric overlap for about eight inches. This gives me plenty of room to remove the straight line edge following the drawing in order to hide the join. I began to cut the first panel and realized that I had been very fortunate in that the two panels had remained in place during the drawing phase. I was careful to line up the next two panels before cutting while I still had an edge to line up. That is when I noticed the slippage. How am I going to fix this? Well, that remains to be seen. I know one thing: I am not redrawing the logo! Once I have the two and half panels painted I will remove the first panel, move everything over and add the last panel, beginning with the drawing again. I think I will add more clips this time….

No comments:

Post a Comment