Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Beginnings

I decided to be part of the Lewis Lavoie team in another mural mosaic which is destined to replace the ill-fated “What Inspires a Child” in St. Albert. This is my panel #53. The selection process itself is intriguing. How does one choose from a pile of disconnected squares covered in abstract strokes of paint? I once heard of a sculptor who visited quarries with a metal file. When he happened upon an interesting rock he struck it with the file to listen to its story. He bought the one with the best story. I found several panels that had a story to tell and I allowed each one to speak to me. I selected the one with the best rhythm and rhyme. Taking it home I set it aside giving it time to more fully develop the tale it had to tell. I mulled over the possibilities. I could celebrate dance, Mother Nature, story telling, quilt making, music. Perhaps I could concentrate on my own joy: painting. There is also the consideration of technique. How could I best incorporate my mixed media technique in this little exercise? Last week I mentioned how much I love light and negative space. These two elements are necessarily part of the equation. O.K. I have the basics but what is the image to be? I guess I will allow some more incubation time.

No comments:

Post a Comment