Monday, October 17, 2011

Light and Negative Space


Quite a while back the St. Albert Painters’ Guild was searching for some images that we could use as a base for a collective interpretation. Everyone would have the same photo from which to work in their own style and media. I spent a few minutes wandering the parks of St. Albert one late afternoon, looking for those magic shots where light and negative space collaborated to form perfect compositions. I submitted my photos and someone else’s image was chosen. I was left with a file of beautiful inspirations for another day. The thought crossed my mind that one of those shots in particular would be excellent for my #53 panel. I hesitated. Chaos is still my middle name these days. Where might have I placed those printouts? This was to be another lesson for me in my faith journey. When my intention is clear the universe conspires to contribute to my success. I walked over to my cutting board, moved a couple of piles and voila! There it was. Considering my main colour palette to be gold and purple I chose an aubergine watercolour pencil and manipulated the image into the set parameters of value and colour. Next step: paint and perhaps a little real gold. Tissue paper? Mmmm…. Anything is possible as this piece will not be attached to an outside wall but rather archived for future generations. Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment