Monday, February 27, 2012

Normal



I often hear people say “I will do this once things get back to normal”. My tolerance for waiting expired some years ago. My husband encouraged me to use the five minute time slots I had at my disposal instead of waiting for a block of time. It took a while to retrain me but I am a much happier camper now. Lately my normal has come to mean disruption and insecurity. In the midst of chaos there is still a choice. I give myself deadlines which get put aside temporarily for exterior demands. For example, I am presently using my studio time to frame pictures so I can deliver them tomorrow. Shortly bookwork and year end will be moved to priority number one for a personal deadline of March 31st.  There are a number of exterior deadlines that I will deal with as they come. Somehow disruptions are easier to manoeuver  than insecurity. At the moment we are living in temporary accommodations and I am working out of a temporary studio. I know the situation will work itself out I just do not know how long it might take. The five minute plan has become essential. What I could use is a clear scheduling of computer time and studio time as the two are about an hour’s drive apart. So just because I do not always make it to my studio every day does not mean I cannot draw every day. I prefer corners and negative space. In our tiny apartment there are lots of interesting compositions available. Drawing I can do on a regular basis. It is just a matter of booking my hour or two per day.

No comments:

Post a Comment