Monday, February 18, 2013

New Mural


It is strange how things come in groups. At present I am working on two different sets of murals. I have just completed the preliminary watercolour sketches for both. One has been approved; the other awaits perusal. As usual the sketches have proved to be invaluable as things change drastically when we get together to talk about specifics. This time the fellow in charge of maintenance called the shot and the murals are now a different format and size. They are also on a different support. That reminds me, I need to do a little research in that arena…. One of the less pleasant side effects of mural work is that the hours of preparation that goes into preliminary sketches is gratis. The artist gets paid once the contract is signed and the concept approved. In an open competition should another artist win the contract I do not get paid at all. That is why I like doing the initial work in watercolour. Watercolour is such fun and it is so fast. I do take care in the drawing and transfer the image once the bugs have been removed but then the fun begins. I will adjust the images so the composition goes with the new dimensions and I think I may decide on a single direction of light…. Can’t have the sun coming up in all directions at once can we?

No comments:

Post a Comment