Monday, February 4, 2013

Lessons

One of the most difficult exercises in this business of art is pricing. A little while ago a couple of curators for my present show visited me in my studio and suggested that my price was considerably too low. I reconsidered and put the price up. While repairing some broken glass I received more than a few compliments on the show and I was truly baffled as to why it was the source of so much excitement. I asked a few questions and shared the experience with my mastermind on our weekly conference call. “Don’t you like your drawings?” was the question that began the awareness. Of course I like my drawings. “Then what is going on?” I have some very perceptive people on my mastermind…. What was going on indeed? It is amazing what one learns as one expresses feelings out loud especially when one shares them with trusted others. Drawing is easy for me. Easy means valueless for me as well. Yes, ahh, mmmm…. “So what are you going to do to change that?” Awareness is the first step to changing anything. For me awareness always brings with it an element of surprise. This time it was closer to shock…. I was dismissing a skill that has taken me fifty years to develop. Wow! Second step: receive the accolades and celebrate; thanks for the flowers Judy!  Third step: get back to drawing on a regular basis. That is a promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment