Monday, March 18, 2013

Waiting


Waiting for paint to dry is a time-honoured process. On occasion I can grab a cup of coffee and sit out a few minutes. This is rarely what I do. In most cases the drying requires several hours and even overnight. I could go home. Instead I choose to fill the hours with other projects. As you can see my studio is overfull at the moment with mural commissions. The set of vignettes are just about finished. One more coat of varnish and out the door they go! The other panels are waiting for the first gesso coat, there are about five layers of colour to be added before I begin drawing in the desired images. Lots of waiting time. Sooooo…. I am very thankful watercolour does not take up much space because there is really not a lot around. Behind the panels and just before the outside door my drafting table is home to the heavy tools for which I no longer have a workbench. There are also a variety of pens, pencils, polished rocks, and memorabilia occupying that end of the desk. At the other end there is just enough space to place a full sheet of watercolour paper with my full palette and the array of brushes. I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to be painting regularly again! Yes, yes, I am always painting. There is, however, a huge difference between commissioned painting and artistic exploration and creation. There is so much more room to allow the paint to flow as it chooses. Room. I have waiting room! Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment