Monday, October 5, 2015

En plein air



The French language uses far less capital letters than English. What does the title mean? One translation is: out in the open air. That is where I have been spending a lot of my time lately, capturing the lovely fall colours around Edmonton. We live in a very beautiful city, the weather magnificent. That being said, what does one do with rain when using watercolours for en plein air? Watercolours are my favorite medium for outdoors at present… Eventually I decided one of the essential ingredients for the exercise is my camera. Once I have located what I consider to be an interesting spot (usually having to do with negative spaces!) I take a photo. I never know if I will be able to finish the painting while on site or not. Usually it takes me about two hours for a quarter sheet of paper (11”x15”). I have been rained out, timed out and chilled out (yes, I am a wimp!). In the rain, the first thing I do is protect what I have already painted. I carry an empty plastic bag for the occasion. My equipment is simple and therefore very easily packed up for the trip home. Takes about five minutes plus the walk from wherever I might have wandered… In my studio I load the picture I took onto my computer and install full screen. This is much better than a print. Now if only I could glue the shadows in place so they would not move… Life is good. 

P.S. The en plein air paintings are the ingredients for my upcoming show at CAVA, opening November 6th. Yah, I know... last minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment