Monday, August 9, 2010

Safety


"Safety"
24" x 18"
Mixed media
on cradled board

Most parents concentrate on keeping their children safe, mothers in particular, or maybe that is just my point of view. This is the theme of the latest in my series “The Many Faces of Eve”. Balance is a challenge in life and in painting. Within the realm of parenting we have the opportunity to grow with our children. Our protective shields are slowly removed as they mature giving them more freedom to explore who they are. I remember holding their hands and finding places to set them free. Painting is much the same. I had a problem with this one. It hung on the wall for a long while. I could not quite see what it was that rendered the image unacceptable. Insights come in many forms. Usually it is just time and a fresh eye in the morning. On other occasions it requires divine intervention. My angel entered my studio, someone just passing the time as her laundry was drying. She made a few comments and I could tell this was a woman who knew what she was talking about. I showed her the painting and told her I did not like it. Her comment was, ‘The rocks are too well defined.’ Brilliant! My need for control was showing. Lately I have been challenged with the idea that the less I define my images the more interesting they are. That means releasing my notions of perfection or rather redefining them. Perhaps it is time to let go and let fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment