Monday, September 20, 2010

In the Field
14" x 11"
Oil
Linen board



It is getting late. I was waiting for a miracle today. The package I anticipate in the mail did not arrive. It will contain my camera. I remember clearly placing it on the windowsill knowing I would need it again. Well, I certainly need it. I forgot it at the workshop I attended in Cochrane with Dan Schultz. So I waited. I was going to use it for my blog today. The solution to the problem came to me just before supper tonight. I could use my husband’s camera! Yes! So I dashed off to my studio and snapped all the latest work, picked up the car from the garage, made supper, had a conference call and the ensuing discussion, photo shop and here I am, almost ready. “In the Field” is the fruit of the second day of the workshop “Painting the Figure in Landscape”. We actually got outside! Alberta weather. Well, that topic is for another day. The model froze and the rest of us were oblivious as we entered our creative zones. The sun came out briefly. I liked what it did with the shadow of the sweater. It was all about colour temperature. Warm sun, cool shadows. I painted quickly but not fast enough. A lot of it had to be done from memory especially in the grasses. The overcast completely changed the light so the shadow became warm and much lighter in contrast to the cool light down her back. This is when hair pulling enters the process. Fortunately I do not have much hair to pull! It does not help anyway. Dan is a patient and astute instructor. He kept reminding me that if I choose warm light I choose cool shadows. I like the result and it is time to go to bed. Good night.


No comments:

Post a Comment