Monday, September 13, 2010

Upstream

"Upstream"
60" x 30"
mixed media
canvas



Nothing like the last minute. The last minute seems to be expansive as all that I have left to be done seems to be miraculously accomplished. Like this blog…. I have started a new series. It is entitled “Wood and Water” a subject that could encompass a wide variety of landscapes. This particular painting is part of a threesome, not a triptych, but rather triplets from the same area of the woods. I do not visit the woods often enough.  There is something healing in the beauty and abundance of nature. My husband and I hiked past Angel Glacier at the beginning of the month. In order to get to Mount Edith Cavel we drove right past Miette Hot Springs which is the setting for the trio. I remember taking a dip in the pool and relaxing in the warmth of the water while the air we breathed threatened to freeze us before we dressed. That was several years ago. Inspiration incubates occasionally over many years. Maybe it waits for just the right media in order to express itself. I began, as usual, with many layers of colour covering the under painting, then, a little watercolour pencil and some graphite powder. Graphite powder leaves such an interesting texture on the surface, perfect for rocks and also a little shadowing among the trees. Tissue  paper creates the illusion of trees in shadow and sunlight. Some more layers of colour and basecoat and the water flows. This one may not be quite done yet. I still have some issues with the light in the distance. The poem and the psalm have been inscribed. It is close. Do I sign it or not….?

No comments:

Post a Comment