Monday, September 6, 2010

Lipstick and Lecture

Lipstick and Lecture
8" x 6"
Mixed media
Canvas



I just love my lipstick plant. I takes all kinds of abuse and. when I remember to water it, it blooms. Gorgeous red blooms. Red is my favorite colour. My wardrobe is red. My car should be red…Turning our attention to painting, I did not realize that I would be painting a series on my lipstick plant. There is another Tiny Treat coming up. At least it is in my mind. I may delay that project until another set of blooms burst forth. The present blossoms are fading. The sun has been hiding lately too. Plants need both sun and water it seems. In any case, this plant is loving its new location. I moved it out of direct sunlight so it would have a chance to drape down the side of the bookcase. I invented some red books so there would be repetition within the image. The contrast between the organic and the geometrical holds a spell. Like composing a symphony, the various notes coming together to create a new sound, I use two sets of complementary colours to create a mood. Red, of course, is accompanied by green and gold glows beside purple. Light is very important. In order to see the light we need a contrast of darker areas beside the brighter ones. The more contrast the more brilliant the light appears to be. Darkest dark against lightest light draws the eye. As does red. Red wins the day. Having drawn the original setting in poppy red watercolour pencil, red shows up here and  there accenting the rhythm. Music, light and paint; a miraculous combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment