Monday, June 13, 2011

KofC Mural

From one to the next. I so enjoy getting together with people who wish to put their history down in visual form. We always begin with an initial meeting, bantering ideas around, usually key people making the suggestions. Inevitably as the discussion becomes more and more animated an idea forms in my head about how I might translate these ideas into images. This time one member of the discussion group had a specific image in mind but no one was able to find an example for me. It came down to four main areas of contribution all of which overlap one into the other, the four areas matching the four levels in the echelon of the Knights of Columbus. Back home I flipped through some magazines trying to locate the fugitive symbol and decided that I would go ahead with another idea, combining multiple photos into four major triangles centring on the bilingual logos of the group. It was busy. I took the sketch to the meeting that evening and watched as disinterested faces suddenly lit up with pride and accomplishment. Many had forgotten what had been done. A few had no idea that their organization had been responsible for many significant projects within the community. It is such a good feeling to open a door into excitement and enthusiasm. Several suggestions were made for small changes within the collage of images. Once the drawing had been transferred to the watercolour paper I considered the possibilities of quieting the clutter. Deciding to go with one colour for the background I  crafted a value study of the activities. This week I take the colour sketch before the group. I wonder what they will say about that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment