Tuesday, June 28, 2011

More to Come

Maybe I should be a bit taller…. One of the hazards of working outdoors is miscommunication! Someone took the scaffolding away too soon. And I am a little short. Nevertheless the job will be done and done on time. There is quite a process to installing a mural. Once the mural is painted the work is far from done. Depending on what materials are used to support the image installation can be a costly and lengthy process. In this case it is relatively inexpensive. The fabric on which I painted the mural molds easily to uneven surfaces, such as stucco. Using regular gel medium gloss we put a coat on the wall while another team of two put a layer of regular gel medium matt on the mural panel. We had indicated on the wall the shape of the piece to be installed before applying the gel. The edges are the most important. Water is the enemy and must be excluded. As the gel dries quite quickly the least time separating the coming together of the two gel coats the better. Time is of the essence. That is one of the reasons the pieces cannot be larger that arm width span. Yes. I cut up my mural. A traumatic experience yet necessary to the process. My husband happened on me as I was doing the cutting and he found it very disturbing. He asked if I knew what I was doing and I did not comfort him by replying truthfully, “No.” In any case half the mural is up. It will not take long to install the other three segments. An isolation coat and two coats of UVL varnish and the deed will be done. The unveiling is on Friday, July 1st at Riverdale House in Edmonton. Hope to see you there! (Thank you to Allan Shute for the photo!)

No comments:

Post a Comment