Monday, July 18, 2011

Primer

All beginnings look pretty much alike. I am working on my latest mural putting in the under layers. I hope to be finished by the end of this week. Of course, it would be delightful to be into the drawing as well. As always in the beginning, I am waiting for paint to dry. The humidity in the air and the coolness of the garage are two factors that are retarding that process. It might come as a surprise to some but there are other things to do in the meantime, like writing a blog! Getting back to the mural, I have decided to go with five strips of cloth eight feet long. Cloth, yes, I am painting on fabric. Unfortunately, or maybe, fortunately the fabric is forty-six inches wide. My mural is eight feet by sixteen feet. It is better to have an overlap at the join of each section so once I have the layers of preliminary colour on the sheets I will arrange them on my temporary wall so that the overlap will be able to accommodate the cut. I am experimenting as usual. I intend to cut the fabric once I have the drawing done. That will allow me to paint the joins as if they are one. It will be easier to line them up and the overlap will be in place ahead of time. There are a few other challenges. My temporary wall was only six feet by thirteen feet. Within the space of my garage there is no room for a longer structure but it was possible to add two feet to the height. I decided to put it on my easels. I am so glad I did. I cannot tell you how many times I have had to move the wall to get into my storage unit since my son and I installed it. I love the person who invented castors.

No comments:

Post a Comment