Monday, August 1, 2011

Bastions

I am a rather outgoing, bubbly personality who, some say, likes to dominate the conversation… There were inferences taken when I told some friends that my husband had recommended to me a weeklong silent retreat in the foothills of Cochrane. I am thankful my husband and I usually understand each other and I took his suggestion to heart when I booked my week away last week. A week of silence sounded like just what I needed. It was just what I needed. I would recommend the very comfortable accommodations and grounds of Mount St. Frances Retreat Centre to anyone who wishes to reconnect, relax and reflect. The schedule of prayers, scripture meditation and meals gave some structure to the otherwise free time. I filled my hours with painting ‘en plein air’, reading, walking and just gazing out the window at the beautiful view. The property extends far enough so the invasion of dwellings will not interfere with the panorama of the distant mountains. The spruce and the Douglas fir, hundreds of feet tall, block the development to the north, some of which can be seen through the bastions of peace. My favorite refuge was along the trail in the woods. Some of the trail struggles between hedges of quack grass in bloom. Yes. I bought some more antihistamines and a box of tissues to complete my repertoire. Atchou!  

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like heaven, Karen.........were you really silent for a week???

    ReplyDelete