Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Third Vignette


I knew I was supposed to do something last night. I have this habit of keeping a daytimer which is quite detailed and accurate. There is another habit I will develop to make it effective….I will read it! Our routine is a little disrupted again. I came home to a dark apartment. Martin is gone to a funeral. My daughter suggested a movie after supper. I am addicted, I admit. Then I finished a sudoku…. Well, I am feeling great this morning and anxious to get into my studio. I plan on driving as the sun comes up. It is so beautiful in the morning. I hope to get most of the painting done today. What you see is the third small panel, about three feet by four feet. I know it does not look very close to finished but, hey, the deadline is Thursday. The white squares are transfers. I took quite a while to do the drawing on the buildings and I was impatient to see how it would look so I took the first layer of paper off the top rectangle. It just needs a little scrubbing. Much to my surprise a cheap plastic scrubber, one that can be purchased at any supermarket, is the perfect tool to lift the paper residue…. And what is a transfer? Trade secret! Not really. I do not believe in secrets. There are several ways to do a transfer. My preferred method involves drawing in the dimension I wish to place on the panel or the canvas then having a photocopy made. Usually the drawing is too large for ordinary copy machines and it needs a blueprint copier instead. The paper is thinner, so much the better. I put a layer of gel medium on the surface of the panel and carefully place the copy with the print down on the surface. Using a rag I press out the extra gel and remove the inevitable wrinkles. Leaving it usually overnight, I wet the surface in the morning and gently scrape the excess paper off with my fingernails, finishing with a scrubber. Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment