Monday, January 23, 2012

Carumba

I love ink. I have an old, worn out bamboo brush that I use for life drawing. It makes the most interesting marks. I also love the rush I get when I make a perfect mark… It is happening more often as I practice my craft. Some images are more challenging than others. A few are quick and easy. I begin by making some tiny strokes and dots. Every once in a while that does not work. On occasion I look at the sweep and move the brush in those directions several times so that I get the idea of how it will fit on the page and how to incorporate the all important movement I wish to capture. As the series progressed I noticed that, really, it was not about the model. It was all about the cape, especially the fringes. As I dropped in the shadowing with a sepia wash I decided to try something a little different so I grabbed my spray gun and sprinkled the drapery. Lovely. Then I took the ink dropper and  tossed in some drops. Wanting finer sprays I picked up my brush again and shook it over the drapery. There seemed to be something missing.  With a little more exuberance the sprays of ink appeared in the spaces surrounding the model, enhancing the movement. This is just the beginning. Once the fifteen drawings are complete I will be adding something extra. I can hardly wait to see how that works.

No comments:

Post a Comment