Monday, March 12, 2012

Christian Contribution

Pencil drawings do not photograph well. This is the latest in the long line of mural projects with which I have been involved. It has been a lot of fun. We met before Christmas to discuss common themes and some focus points upon which I could build an image that expressed Christian contribution within the community. As I developed the drawing it became apparent that the most important elements were the people themselves. Church is all about people. As one theologian put it: we put skin to God. As we pray, play, worship, praise and touch each other, God’s love made manifest. The best examples of this are in how we care for the weakest and the poorest among us. As a whole I think we are getting better at it. In any case the image celebrates the victories and the joy. Now that it has been approved the next step is to paint it. I have already begun with the undercoats: one coat of primer, one or two coats of exterior house paint on the back, gesso on the front, a coat of molding paste then a coat of gesso mixed with colour and gel medium just to get started. Today I put on the other layers of colour, there are at least three of them, before I transfer the image. That is today’s work. Tomorrow and the next day are painting days. Done by Thursday… that is the deadline. Sigh. Thank God for deadlines….

No comments:

Post a Comment