Monday, June 4, 2012

Building Boxes

Looking into the interior

All gridded up

Ready to go
I guess I am not done with learning curves. My laptop is making funny noises this morning; the motherboard may have overheated during the night. I took the time to backup the system before I started writing this and I hope I will be able to finish. The topic today (celebrating my hundredth blog!) is building boxes. The last time I shipped to Vancouver I was in a panic so I built a box out of cardboard and sent it, then I asked questions. One friend suggested Styrofoam and Corplast emphasizing how light the materials are. Another told me how to ship glass. She said if it does break it will not damage the artwork it is protecting. And neglect to tell the shippers that the package contains glass…. Yes, well, okay. I measured my drawings and found that I did not have the framing I needed for the size. I researched the standard size that would best accommodate and ordered the box of glass and frames to go with it. Knowing the size the pictures would be, I decided to ship the two together and proceeded to design the box. I began with pencil sketches in various configurations then I bought some Styrofoam sheets, one 4’x8’ at ¾ inch thick and a second at 1 ½ inches thick. I had thought of putting the thinner sheet between the pictures but I ended up not using it at all. Once in my studio I cut the pieces of Styrofoam to size and the added half an inch to the Corplast exterior. Using good old duct tape I hinged the pieces together then inserted the Styrofoam. It looked so small. I thought, oh well, if the framed drawings do not fit I can always make another.  Once I had the drawings in their frames I took masking tape and put a grid pattern over the glass then slipped the piece into my box. I was delighted to discover I had room for bubblewrap. Amazing! Some days just go well. The show is in the Federation of Canadian Artists’ Gallery at 1241 Cartwright St. Vancouver, opening on 12th June. If you are in the area drop in. It is sure to be a great show.

No comments:

Post a Comment