Monday, June 18, 2012

Fathers' Day

The weatherman said it would rain. Well, our plans did not include external moisture. We wanted a picnic in the park that would last all day. My oldest son smiled cynically when I mentioned our plans. ”Prepare to be wet” was the implication. I sent out a request for perfect weather, not only for us but the rest of the celebrating population. It had been a very long time since we had gone camping. I knew that pulling the already packed boxes from the attic would be the quickest preparation. As I shook the dust from the various elements I selected what we needed for the day rather than a week’s absence. In deference to the possibility that my request would remain unanswered I brought down the tarp and threw in some rope. It was quite the load. The back of the van was full once I had the chairs and the firewood in place. All the utensils and the dishes needed washing. My daughter-in-law and I prepared a simple meal of hotdogs and salad. The only logistical problem we had was that there may not be room at the park next to the sand pile where the grandchildren would play. Once the final hymn was sung Papa and our daughter headed for the park as I finished off a few details including picking up our other daughter on the way. I decided to leave the tarp in the car as we set everything else out on the table. We sun baked, we talked, we told jokes, we laughed, we relaxed. Eventually the younger set arrived and the fire was started. Food, drink and merriment were the order of the day. And the rain? God has a sense of humour. I was just gathering up the tablecloths when the shower fell. Thank you Lord, for the perfect day.

No comments:

Post a Comment