Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Airports

Lately I have been spending a lot of time at airports. There have been great opportunities to observe human nature, connect to strangers and paint. I like choosing subjects who are more or less settled, unaware of my presence and engaged in an activity that will allow them to remain in stationary position for a length of time, enough time for me to do a sketch. Often I will begin several subjects so that I may return to the previous one once they have resumed their original position. Memory plays a part as well. Then there are occasions when I rely more heavily upon memory or artistic license. Such is the case with this study as I waited in Vancouver for the flight to Whitehorse. The young lady would eventually turn out to be my roommate for the event we were both attending. She was blissfully immersed in her book as I took out my watercolour pencil and began to draw her and the surroundings in the five by seven sketch pad I always take with me. The portable studio fits well into a purse that can hold water, brushes, spray gun, pens, pencils, tissues, paint, pad of 140lb paper, warming blanket and a rain poncho which serves as a tarp on occasion. It measures approximately ten inches by eight inches by four inches. It has been through many scanners and will continue to do so. I could not finish the sketch as some other participants arrived and she chose to join them in animated conversation. The next time I took out my paints was in Los Angeles. Instead of beginning something new I decided to finish this one knowing that I had total freedom to choose the colours I wished without regard for the original scene. It was good to get back to brush to paper….

No comments:

Post a Comment