Monday, January 21, 2013

Fire Alarm

The fire alarm went off in the wee hours of the morning a few days ago. The building is fifty years old with eighteen families sharing the same roof. 911 was called, firemen arrived about five to ten minutes later, nothing….. A faulty unit on second floor. Sleep was fitful after that. As we were waiting I looked around our apartment and wondered what I could not live without. Could I walk away? There are some things that are irreplaceable such as family photos. A new laptop would mean building all I have stored all over again…. Not a comforting thought. I am working on a commission, tucked in the corner of the bedroom, a family photo or two that does not belong to me. That might be troublesome. All the paintings on the walls are originals. In the end what does it matter? I could walk away and begin again. Life is precious. This moment is precious. How I spend this moment builds the past. Today, right now, I am thankful for life and love. I am thankful for the gift of creativity. I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment