Monday, July 22, 2013

Fun

Did I tell you I like a challenge? I love figuring out how to do the impossible or what seems like the impossible. I get premonitions too. I had had one on this mural and I had checked it out or so I thought. Monday it rained. All day. I was very thankful we had decided to leave the installation to Tuesday. My plan was I would treat everyone to lunch when the time came so I did not bring a lunch. It was the beginning of a comedy of errors. Did I mention I like to laugh? Those who know me can identify me by my laugh. Many say it brings them joy. I do not believe in making life miserable so I see problems as opportunities to be creative…. The picture shows the crew just before we discovered the second error. Each panel had been cut into four sections as the maximum size for gluing them to the surface is about four feet square. As we put up the third panel, above the boots on the right it was evident that the fellow would lose his head in what looked like a twelve inch error in height. There was a moment of silence. Enough for panic to set in. I had an excellent crew. Everyone calmly looked at me wondering what to do next. I decided the sections would have to be removed, wiped down and set out on the tarp so I could assess where to remove the excess height…. The fellow who had done the measurements was baffled as to where the error had been made until we looked at the doors again and noticed the rails upon which they rested for opening and closing had made the difference. I asked for the actual measurement and we found only six inches needed to be removed. No problem for the boy, there was lots of sky above his head, the father figure, however, filled the entire space. I decided to shorten his coat. Of course when we brought the sections together the arms and the hands did not quite match (they were holding hands)…. I was so glad I had brought all my paints. Me fix later. They were about to hand me the last section of sky when one of the crew noticed that the glue had been put on the wrong side! That is when I began to laugh. I suggested that I could get upset but that is a waste of energy. It is a lot more fun to laugh. After that we had lunch. Someone shared his sub with me and another his water as there were no restaurants in the area. We had a delightful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment