Monday, January 13, 2014

Transfers



Transfers transform. What is a transfer? Basically it is the embedding of an image within another. There could be many other definitions; my fascination springs from a desire to include drawing in my paintings. I enjoy drawing. I have a collection of lovely sketches from the life drawing I have done. Mostly they catch dust. To this group I have added some portraits of women usually realized in felt pen which transfer very well.  Depending on the size of the canvas and the activity thereon I select two or three images to place them in open spaces between the droppings of ink and colour. The next step is to make a photocopy of the images, cut off the excess paper surrounding the drawing and, using gel medium, adhere it to the surface. I have discovered that leaving the nice square edge of the paper interferes with drawing becoming one with the painting. Placement is a major consideration within the painting as the dynamic of the rhythms change depending on where the drawing is installed. There is also the fact that the image is reversed. As I have a multitude of tasks to which to attend I have the habit of leaving the gel to dry overnight. The next day three important tools come into play: water, my fingernails and a plastic scrubber. The water softens the paper, fingernails remove the major paper coverage and the scrubber finishes off the residue. Should any paper remain when dry it looks like a fog covering the lines and the background. Out comes the scrubber once again to complete the job. At this point the transfers dictate the mood, the ambiance. The transformation has a name. This is when I select a preliminary title. It may change as additional drippings transform the dance as well. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment