Monday, January 6, 2014

New Beginnings


Happy New Year one and all. Today is the first day I am back in my studio full-time and I am thrilled. So what does full-time look like? There are about as many varieties as there are artists. I would prefer to be in my studio from 9am to 5pm a minimum of five days per week, in other words, forty hours of painting. Realistically that is not how it goes down in my world. There is so much more to this business than painting, all be it the most important factor. And there are the other responsibilities connected to living well that require time and energy. I have devoted the last two months to those…. So what does full-time look like for me? It comes in clumps. For the next two months I will be the happiest of artists, pushing paint, creating invitations, connecting with my clients and manoeuvring around the other tasks in my life. I will be spending about forty hours per week on studio matters, the major portion of the time being devoted to production as I savour the process. I require ten more paintings for my solo show in March. Will it be 9am to 5pm? Probably not. There will be evenings, some weekends, earlier mornings, whatever it takes. And after my solo is installed, paraded and advertised? I do know I will be moving. Yes. Again. The last time I am sure. In any case, it takes about three months for me to reorganize my studio. Full-time will not include much studio painting. It will include en plein air and some practice with notan. So much fun! Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment