Monday, May 19, 2014

Contour Drawing



Recently I submitted five drawings to show in the upcoming Naked Show “Stark” at Harcourt House. Two were selected, one of which you see above. I have a tendency to minimalist mark making; I prefer a clean edge. It is not always possible to achieve a one-line visual of the form before me. Some days I should just stay home! On this particular day the model happened to position himself in ways that were conducive to a group image. As I added each image I felt myself tense knowing the next one might ruin the whole project. Deep breathing helps. Letting go of perfection also aids in maintaining the necessary connection between the eye and the hand, to stay in the flow. Drawing is at its best when I no longer need to think about the how. Often, in order to enter into that sacred space where the seeing and the feeling move together, I stop and stare for a while. There is not a lot of time as my best connection happens in the two to five minute poses. As soon as I feel I have entered that timeless zone I put pen to paper. In this case I put several pens to paper with a little pencil added in. The different colours pull the figures forward or push them back. Fascinating! I love what I do. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment