Monday, December 14, 2015

Self



Having been asked to do a small self-portrait for a friend of ours I set about experimenting with the mirrors. The idea was to create a comfortable three-quarter pose without too much strain on my neck. The first thing I concluded was the mirrors needed cleaning. Seeing is a big part of being able to draw accurately. I cleaned the mirrors. I fiddled, balanced, rearranged and ended up with one instead of two. The pose was still three-quarter and not particularly comfortable. As the drawing proceeded I became increasingly distressed and it had nothing to do with the strain on my neck. Indeed, I had not noticed all the sags, bags and wrinkles in such detail before. Sigh. I need to release some weight too. Still I like the fine crosshatching and the lovely light across my cheek. The portrait is to go with one I did of my husband this summer. His features are much smaller. I may have to do another to smaller proportions so I do not look like I am too domineering. Or maybe that is another truth I am not willing to admit. Life is still good.

P.S. I was wondering where that box of Christmas decorations was... Now I know. Life is really good!

No comments:

Post a Comment