Monday, November 29, 2010

Renovations

Renovations

My living room
getting better

There is a certain joy in renewal. It is sometimes painful, like getting out of a crouch position after having been there too long, but the stretch and the freedom to move make up for the temporary distress. Renovations are renewing. I have made several tough choices lately. Every choice has a benefit and a price. For me, my choice to stay home and help with the renovations has cost me my studio time. The benefit is that the disruption will be done by Christmas and I will have a brand new house in which to celebrate. Another benefit is the realization that my attitude has transformed what could have been a very trying, unpleasant experience into fun. I especially enjoyed mixing the paint. I bought some mistints and poured them into a laundry tub in which I used to mix salads during my catering days… yes, I have done a lot of different things… I adjusted the colours with the bits of left over paint that were stored in the garage from other projects and added white. I was thankful that the mixing was completed before the new floor went down in the laundry. I got a new pair of shoes out of the mess I created, another benefit! At the moment I am sitting in the middle of my office at my overcrowded desk surrounded by empty walls waiting for some mud and a little paint. The floor is in. I can taste the beginning of the end…. And it is delicious. I am not sure what I will have for you next week; that depends upon the choices I make this week. I do know I will be enjoying the open, clean spaces of my new home!

1 comment:

  1. Holy cow! What an amazing undertaking, Karen. I am so very proud of you. Ironically, Alan & I have been renovating our business building. It feels so incredibly great when it's done. The pride & honor I feel in such a clean & vibrant building is worth all the effort. I love your attitude about the process also. You are an amazing woman! Enjoy the process. That's where the beauty is in life.

    ReplyDelete