Monday, May 2, 2011

Fun and Easy!

Yes, we were ready for the fabric. So do I tape it to the support? Screw it on? Nails? Masking tape has always been a staple for my watercolours. I thought perhaps it would be sufficient to hold the fabric in place. And it was until I attempted to install the second sheet. The bolt of fabric was short so the forty-eight inches needed to be expanded to seventy-two. The mural is split into two sections. The first is six feet by thirteen feet. The lower part is three by thirteen. Since the surface of the building has a one to two inch lip from top section to bottom section the mural must be split. So… a two foot addition needed to be attached to the first piece. I wanted a relatively smooth surface. Sewing was not appropriate. I decided to treat the material like paper and left an extra bit of width to glue to the first sheet. Good plan. Now if I could just get the second sheet to line up with the first…. Oops! The whole thing came tumbling around me ears. Another advantage to using fabric! I do not get hurt when the sheets crash around my ears…. I just get frustrated. So. Yes. Back to the first list. My first choice had not been a good one; I did not like the others. I gazed around my studio and my eyes grazed the small pill container holding some craft pins. That is it! I did manage to get the two sheets up on the frame but with the force of gravity and the subtly of the material I could not pin it well enough to have it lay flat, one against the other. Time to glue them together. Laying the frame on the floor once more I removed the pins and suddenly I no longer had ripples in my project. A little gel, a little molding paste and all I had to do was wait for it to dry. Mmmm. Watching paint (or glue) dry was my cue to leave for the day. Tomorrow I would paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment