Monday, November 21, 2011

Sticks and Links

It is Monday again… Some weeks are shorter than others I swear. This one is especially short because I do not have anything written for this morning, so what do I write about? Well, I do have a new mini series of pen and ink studies that I am preparing for Centre d’arts visuels next month. It is mostly about sticks and stones and chains that bind and robinlace. I have eight of the ten I plan to show done. This project has been so much fun I plan on continuing the exercise. Drawing has always been my favorite thing, pen and ink my favorite medium. Pen and ink helped me discover the mystery of disappearing lines. I rarely use an eraser. The trick is to start off lightly. With pen and ink ‘lightly’ usually means a series of dots. It is important that the instrument used is consistent. I have trouble when the ink suddenly starts to flow more abundantly at the moment I need a light, barely visible line…. Grrr. If it is early in the drawing the heavier line does disappear too. As the drawing progresses, as I add darker and more, all the mistakes in the beginning fade into the background. Unless one is looking for mistakes, they remain imperceptible. Of course the mistakes remain because I leave them there. Can you find any?

No comments:

Post a Comment