Monday, August 20, 2012

Invitaion to Listen


My watercolour series has taken a new curve. It so goes against my grain to leave something “unfinished”, yet is it really? The question is open. Are the trees and the figure in the past or in the future? Are they always present? Are they beyond time? Our world is connected in ways we barely understand and in ways of which we are not even cognizant. Past and present pertain only to this lifetime. There are worlds in which timelessness is the norm. The creative space is timeless. Anyone who creates is aware of this phenomenon. I wonder if the next life is timeless. I suspect so. Irrelevant, perhaps, as I am living in the here and now. Which brings me to the question of being present. In our world of clamour and noise we are inundated with useless information and propaganda aimed at derailing us from the time-honoured art of listening. Are we listening to each other? Am I listening to myself? My body can keep me healthy if I listen to its wisdom. There is much the forest can tell us, or the stars at night. How often do I stop to hug a tree or go to a place, away from the artificial lighting, to gaze at the heavens at night? Am I listening? Am I taking the time to listen to the children and the elderly? Wisdom can also be found in these places. Today I will take a walk, smell the flowers, hug a tree and listen to the water flowing over the rocks. Today I will listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment