Monday, May 20, 2013

Crowded

So this is my first attempt to accommodate the nine foot by seven foot panels for the Willington mural. My false wall is now the table top. Even with the wall atop the kitchen table the surface is insufficient to allow more than one segment at a time (there are two to a panel). As is, doing one sheet at a time would lengthen significantly the preparation time for each piece before drawing and painting could begin. Too long. I found an extender which I attached to an eight foot side and I can now work two sheets at once. With the extender I can prime one sheet and allow it to drape over the ends and side while I prime the other. About two or three hours later I can flip them and do the other side. Of course there is a consequence for pushing things this way…. My hands and everything else get covered in paint. There are four to six layers of gel and paint to apply yet so there will be a lot of waiting for paint to dry over the next couple of weeks. Once all of the layers have been completed I will remove the extender and replace the false wall in a vertical position so that the surface is more easily accessible for drawing. I have not figured out how I am going to keep the two segments together as I move them around. Having an eight foot wall for nine foot panels requires moving. The movement will include side to side as well. Challenges for later. In the meantime the preparation is advancing nicely. And the best part: I get to paint my watercolour while waiting for paint to dry!  Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment